TLILIC0005 – Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform

Gain the skills and knowledge required to safely operate a boom-type Elevating Work Platform (EWP)

Book Now

Elevated Work Platform (EWP)

About This Course

This course specifies the outcomes required to safely operate an elevating work platform.  This course includes training and assessment on the conduct of operating an elevating work platform and includes planning for work tasks using the EWP, operating the elevating work platform, following safety procedures and manufacturer specifications directly relevant to the operation of EWPs.

Licensing/Regulatory Information

egislative and regulatory requirements are applicable to this unit of competency.

This unit is based on the licensing requirements of Part 4.5 of the Model Work Health and Safety (WHS) Regulations and meets Commonwealth, State and Territory HRWL requirements.

The National Assessment Instrument (NAI) is the mandated assessment for the HRWL to operate the relevant licencing class as detailed in this unit.

Units of Competency details

TLILIC0005 – Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more)

Competency Field

LIC – Licencing Units

Course Outcome

Upon successful completion, learners will be issued with a Statement of Attainment and one of the following two depending on the state regulations.

  1. Assessment summary (AS1) or;
  2. Notice of Satisfactory Assessment (NSA)

Learners successfully completing this course are eligible to apply to the applicable regulatory body for a high risk work licence to operate a boom type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more).


Learners are required to submit one or more of the following forms: AS1, NSA , Statement of Attainment, and/or relevant application documents to obtain a High Risk Work License (HRWL).


For guidelines to apply for a High Risk Work License (HRWL) please see below.

Delivery Location

Please contact us to enquire about up and coming courses and locations.

Course Fee

From $600pp


(Prices are subject to vary due to state and requirements. please contact us for a quote)

Course Duration

Total duration for this course is 24 hours (3 days) as follows for both skilled and non-skilled operators.


The course duration is 24 hours (including 18 hours of training):

  • 10 hours of supervised theory instruction
  • 8 hours of supervised practical instruction (simulated workplace)
  • 4 hours theory assessment (written test)
  • 2 hours of practical assessment

Entry Requirements

All learners enrolling in this course must demonstrate a sound level of language literacy and numeracy, Learners that do not achieve a sound result may still be enrolled in the course.  These learners will be provided with additional support to be negotiated with their training and detailed in their enrolment form.


  1. All learners are required to provide their Unique Student Identifier (USI) If this is not available please contact us.
  2. Before an assessment can take place, the Accredited Assessor is required to sight three matching original evidence of learner identity (EOI) documents.
  3. Minimum 18 years of age (Workplace Health and Safety requirement)

Safety Requirements

As a minimum, students participating are required to wear appropriate PPE, including;

  1. Steel Cap boots
  2. High Vis Shirt (no singlets will be permitted)
  3. Hard Hat
  4. Safety Glasses

Any other company/site-specific guidelines must be followed in accordance with CGA minimum standards.

Resources Provided

All course material will be provided by CGA

Training PPE & equipment will be supplied by CGA (harnesses, lanyards)

Administration Fee

No administration fee is applicable.

Additional Fees

No additional fees are applicable.

Recognition of Prior

Recognition of Prior Learning is offered to all participants in accordance with the Connection Group Australia Recognition Process.

Pre Requisites

Not applicable


Learners completing this course will be qualified to operate elevating work platforms to carry out work that requires a high risk work license.  They may take up roles in the general construction industry that require work to be carried using various elevating work platforms under licenced conditions.


Where the packaging rules allow, learners may be able to use the Statement of Attainment issued upon completion of this course as credit toward a full qualification from the Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package.

How to apply for a High Risk Work License (HRWL)


Step 1

Find an RTO offering training for a HRW licence class and enroll in the applicable course.


Step 2

Complete training as per the relevant unit of competency. This will include classroom theory and practical training.

  1. Your first interaction with the RTO or assessor should not be on the day of your assessment.
  2. You should be provided face-to-face training although some revision may be undertaken independently.
  3. You only need to progress to assessment if you feel ready; seek further training if necessary.

Step 3

Book in a theory and practical assessment with your RTO. Bookings for assessments need to be made at least three business days in advance and conducted by an accredited assessor.

  1. This assessment is closed book and is to be completed by the individual.
  2. You should not discuss answers with other participants or view a copy of the test prior to sitting it.
  3. The assessor should be present at all times during the assessment period.

Successful applicants will receive an assessment summary (AS1) from the accredited assessor and a statement of attainment from the RTO.


Step 4

Complete the online application for a new Queensland HRW Licence

This must be done within 60 days of successfully completing the practical assessment.


Note: Interstate residents can apply for a Queensland HRW licence as long as they were trained and assessed in Queensland by a Queensland based registered training organisation (RTO) and assessor.


You will need:

  • LHRW Assessment Summary – AS1 form/s issued by a Queensland Accredited Assessor.
  • Details of their QGov/Google/Microsoft account. If you do not have one of these accounts you can register for a QGov account during the application process.
  • A valid email address.
  • The customer reference number (CRN) from one of the following Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) issued licence cards:
    • e. driver’s licence,
    • proof of age card,
    • marine licence indicator card, or
    • industry authority card.
  • If you do not hold one of these cards you can still lodge your application. Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) will contact you after you have lodged the online applicationto provide information about how to obtain a TMR CRN.
  • Details of any photographic HRW licences you hold that were issued by another state, territory or the Commonwealth.

A credit or debit visa card to pay the application fee.


Step 5

Retain your AS1 and proof of payment as evidence that you can lawfully perform work in the relevant class of high risk, pending a decision on your application.


For more information visit

Worksafe QLD



Please note that you must apply in person within 60 days from the date of issue of your NSA.


You are able to lodge your application for a HRW licence at any participating Australia Post outlet within NSW or ACT. The location of your nearest participating Australia Post outlet can be found by contacting Australia Post on 13 76 78 or through the Post Office Locator on the Australia Post website at www. auspost.com.au/pol/


Note: You must select the filter by service Identity and document services – Licence to perform high risk work NSW (new and renewal)


The following checklist outlines what documents you need to take with you when lodging your application:


☐ Application form
A completed, but unsigned Application for a national licence to perform high risk work – New application form (catalogue no. SW08310). If you have signed the application form, you will be asked to re-sign the form at time of lodgement.

☐ NSA forms
The original (orange and white copy) of the NSA.

☐ Evidence of identity (EOI)
Original EOI documents that add up to at least 100 points. A list of the acceptable documents and their allocated points can be found on page 4 of this document. Note: Certified copies will not be accepted.


The combination of documents presented to the Australia Post customer service officer must include your:
• date of birth
• current NSW residential address
• photograph, and
• signature.


Generally, these documents would be the same that were provided to the assessor who conducted your assessment. If you do not have the required evidence of identity documents, your application will not be accepted.


☐ Current HRW licences
Any current NSW issued HRW licences that you hold so that they can be included on your new HRW licence. If you have changed your name since receiving a previously issued HRW licence, and have not updated your details with SafeWork NSW, you must contact 13 10 50 prior to submitting your application through Australia Post. You must do this to ensure your new class/es will align with your existing HRW licence


☐ Payment
Application fees are per HRW class being applied for. Current fees can be located on the licensing fee schedule on the SafeWork NSW website. The fee can be paid by way of cash, EFTPOS, MasterCard or Visa. Applications paid by cheque will not be processed until funds have cleared. Note: You will be responsible for any costs charged to SafeWork NSW as a result of funds not being available.


For further information please visit SafeWork NSW


EWP Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

What is a mobile elevated work platform?

Mobile elevating work platforms (MEWP) are a types of 'plant', or equipment that facilitate working at height. They consist of a working platform on an extending structure and chassis, with controls for operation.

What is a boom type elevating work platform?

Boom-type elevating work platform means a telescoping device, hinged device, or articulated device, or any combination of these, used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment, and materials may be elevated.

What is the difference between a cherry picker and boom lift?

A Cherry Picker is a trailer mounted boom lift with four outrigger legs which can be towed to a location. A Boom Lift is generally self-propelled, meaning it can be driven around and used on the job whilst elevated in the air but must be transported from site to site by a truck.

Do you need a Licence to operate an EWP?

Yes, under current regulations, a license is required for high-risk work, which includes operating booms over 11 meters high.

Course Overview

Duration: 2 days training and 1 day assessment

Times: 7:00am - 4:00pm

Class Size: 6-8 Students

Assessment type: Theory and practical

Discounts for multiple course bookings and company group bookings, please contact us for a free quote.

Enquire About This Course!

Scroll to Top